Mark 9:36-37 (NLT)
“Then he put a little child among them. Taking the child in his arms, he said to them, 37 “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who sent me.”
“Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.” Psalm 127:3 (NLT)
Intro: Gift from the Lord!
Children Are a Heritage from the Lord. It would be impossible to emphasize too much the importance of children in the life and destiny of the church. They are the only material out of which God makes his preachers, missionaries, church members, and kingdom workers. They are the race itself, the church itself, and the redeemed of God itself, tomorrow. AND they are a gift from the Lord!
Application: God Blesses the Adults that guide Children: “A Step Toward God!”
Greek Word: for (Child) paidion (pahee-dee'-on)
Qualities to have when leading a step toward God
1. A Step Toward God Requires Humility: In the matters of adult life many consider the child useless, unable to contribute. They overlook and fail to consider the great contributions a child makes to an adult. A child requires the spirit of love, caring, forgiveness, courage, trust, and on and on. A person who serves a child must be humble.
Matthew 18:2-14 (HCSB) “Then He called a child to Him and had him stand among them. 3 “I assure you,” He said, “unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child—this one is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one child like this in My name welcomes Me. 6 “But whoever causes the downfall of one of these little ones who believe in Me—it would be better for him if a heavy millstone were hung around his neck and he were drowned in the depths of the sea! 10 “See that you don’t look down on one of these little ones, because I tell you that in heaven their angels continually view the face of My Father in heaven. [11 For the Son of Man has come to save the lost.] 14 In the same way, it is not the will of your Father in heaven that one of these little ones perish.”
Awesome challenge with the scripture I just read, Jesus takes serious the importance of the Love that is required in raising a child. This is a gift from God not to be thrown away, not to be put on the shelf and forgotten, not to be neglected but to be Loved and cherished! Receiving a child requires humility!
2. A Step Toward God Requires Courage: A child is a great responsibility. When an adult receives a child, they undertake the child's care and welfare. A person who serves a child must be courageous.
A lot to be said to these words from scripture: Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Don’t fail to correct your children. They won’t die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Fathers, do not exasperate (frustrate) your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
3. A Step Toward God Requires Faith and Trust: A person has to believe the child will respond and learn, not rebel and reject. A person who serves a child must believe and trust.
Just as you cannot understand the path of the wind or the mystery of a tiny baby growing in its mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the activity of God, who does all things. Ecclesiastes 11:5 (NLT)
Don’t try to understand everything just trust and have faith in your God that He is in control and when you give your child to God He will protect!
4. A Step Toward God Requires Patience and Endurance: A person has to be patient and persevering in teaching and training. The child is sometimes slow. A person who serves a child must be patient. "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one! 5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. 6 "And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.” Deuteronomy 6:4-7
5. A Step Toward God Requires Forgiveness: A child falls and fails often, making the same mistake time and again. A person who serves a child must be forgiving.
Conclusion: Ambition for service proves one's discipleship. Jesus illustrated His point. He took a child into His arms and received and gathered the child unto Himself. And then He drove His point home. He said that the very qualities that are necessary to receive a child are the qualities that are to characterize the believer's life. The believer is to treat all men as he treats a child when he receives a child into his arms.
GIFT OF A CHILD
God’s grace is truly shown
In the gift of a child
Reflecting His love and tenderness
In the warmth of their smile
For children are blessings
Sent from God above
A precious gift heaven sent
An expression of God’s love
On the foundation of this love
May this child truly grow
Discovering the truths of God
And to one day come to know
That Jesus Christ is Lord of all
And He has an awesome plan
A destiny only they can fulfill
As they take Him by the hand
And walk with Him every day
With God’s vision for their lives
And godly passion to fulfill
The commission of Jesus Christ
Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him. Psalm 127:3 (NLT)
In : Sermon
blog comments powered by Disqus